InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Etrain - Official Elliott Yamin Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Board Settings, Some Things I Just Learned
onlyforelliott
Posted: Jun 14 2008, 07:54 AM

ETrain Engineer

Group: Passengers
Member No.: 1,528

If this topic has been discussed previously, it was probably some time ago and thus is buried somewhere in the list. I did a quick check of topics over the past year or so and didn't see it.

I had never fully explored the control panel before, so I did some clicking on various options to see what the results were. The one I found most useful was "board settings."

If you click on Control Panel and then Board Settings a list of options comes up. The one that I like the best is the number of posts per page. Sometimes I want to read an older post in one of the large threads and I have a hard time finding it. You can greatly reduce the number of pages in a thread by increasing the posts per page. I tried 90 for a while yesterday, but found that was too many for the really large threads like Nancy's News Alerts. So now I'm using 50 posts per page and so far it is working just fine. Many of the topics that were 2 pages for me are now only 1 and I can easily scroll through the entire section.

As an experiment, I also turned off pictures and signatures. I like pictures and signatures but some of them tend to be large and I find too many of them on a page can distract me. If there's a photo inserted in the post, you can just click on the photo link provided to see it. And of course, you can always turn it back on it someone posts a whole series of pictures. What I like most about turning the photos off is that many times people quote a post that contain photos and that post is quoted severals times and all of the pictures are repeated multiple times on the same page. With pictures turned off, I can stay on track of the discussion more easily.

There are other interesting options, but these are the three I've found most useful for my easy viewing of topics.
itslate
Posted: Jun 14 2008, 08:51 AM

Geek on a train

Group: ETrain Driver
Member No.: 450

I like the mention of turning off pictures. It doesn't happen too often, and I may have been guilty of doing so myself... but sometimes very large pictures are posted that throw off the entire width of a page. This makes it very hard to read what is written also. You have to scroll horizontally... still tough to read. I'll remember to change the board settings if this should happen. But once again, it doesn't happen too often.

--------------------
Have you missed INTERVIEWS?
Audio & Video 2009
Efan2
Posted: Jun 14 2008, 02:58 PM

ETrainmaster

Member No.: 2,231

Thanks. I had never adjusted these settings and just now changed a couple. I like it! Appreciate your pointing this out.

--------------------
Faye
Berkana
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 11:49 AM

Idolizes Corny Things (Noob)

Member No.: 612

I adjusted my settings. Is there anyway I can see where I've posted at? Besides guessing of course.

--------------------
Can you picture a little boy, dragging wood down the lane?
Grandma waiting for him brother, playing outside in the rain
Each day we hear the score, before not after shots of war
And the road to him is love, but the love is never more

The Whitlams
LilRedDevilLizzy
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 01:09 PM

ETrain Engineer

Member No.: 12,838

If you click on My assistant there you can see your last ten posts. I don't know how to view more than that though.
Berkana
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 01:10 PM

Idolizes Corny Things (Noob)

Member No.: 612

QUOTE (LilRedDevilLizzy @ Jun 20 2008, 01:09 PM)
If you click on My assistant there you can see your last ten posts. I don't know how to view more than that though.

Oh okay. Thank you! That helps a lot.

--------------------
Can you picture a little boy, dragging wood down the lane?
Grandma waiting for him brother, playing outside in the rain
Each day we hear the score, before not after shots of war
And the road to him is love, but the love is never more

The Whitlams
LilRedDevilLizzy
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 01:16 PM

ETrain Engineer

Member No.: 12,838

QUOTE (Berkana @ Jun 20 2008, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (LilRedDevilLizzy @ Jun 20 2008, 01:09 PM)

Oh okay. Thank you! That helps a lot.

Your welcome. Also, I just realized that if you view your own profile there is a place where you can click to see all the topics you've started....
I Love Elliott
Posted: Jun 29 2008, 10:42 PM

ETrainmaster

Member No.: 2,254

Thanks OFE for bringing this to the forefront.

I have never used (or even clicked on) My Assistant before.

I am using it all the time now!!

Great tools I never knew were there!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Topic Options

Google
Search the Web Search etrainstation.com
Visitor Counter:

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0959 seconds | Archive